The black pepper is a perennial woody vine and a native to South India and cultivated in tropical regions such as China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Madagascar, America, and Europe. Vietnam is the world's leading producer of black pepper today.
The black pepper plant bears the fruit during the fourth or fifth year. Harvest begins as soon as one or two fruits at the spike base turn red. The spikes are collected and sun-dried. Later, the peppercorns are removed off the spikes.
It is believed that the use of black pepper dates back to the prehistoric era. Chinese and Ayurvedic doctors have been using black pepper oil for more than a thousand years. Indian monks ate black pepper every day to increase their energy and sustain their endurance.
The peppercorns are dried in the sun and then crushed to yield clear to pale-green oil when steam distilled. The oil is dry, warm, and fresh with a woody and spicy taste.
Commonly known Benefits
- The black pepper oil stimulates blood circulation and improves the muscle tone, relieving the body from discomfort associated with arthritis, rheumatism, sports injuries, and muscular aches.
- The essential oil of black pepper contains vitamin A and K that are responsible for reducing fine lines or wrinkles.
- The oil works wonders on acne prone skin, reducing and eliminating breakouts.
- Massaging the black pepper oil onto the back before exercising prevents soreness and stiffness.
- It also helps in effectively reducing visible cellulite.
- Black pepper oil aids in digestion. It stimulates the whole digestive system thereby facilitating effective digestion.
- The oil is well known carminative. It removes gas and prohibits the formation of gas in the stomach.
- Black pepper oil increases urination and sweating when ingested. This is extremely beneficial in the removal of toxins from the body. These properties help in reducing inflammation.
- One of the important properties of the oil is its behavior as an anti-oxidant. The oil removes harmful free radicals from the body and also repairs them. The oil also delays the effects associated with aging, nervous disorders, and loosening of muscles.
- The oil helps in reducing nausea, colic, heartburn, and diarrhea.
- The oil is used by women to eliminate cellulite.
- Black pepper oil improves mind concentration and alertness of the mind.
- It stimulates blocked energy thereby stimulating mental energy.
- The oil is believed to move people past emotional issues.
- Researchers believe that the essential oil of black pepper encourages the feelings of bravery and courage. It is stabilizing oil and people use it as an aphrodisiac.
Physico Chemical Properties:
||0.890 to 0.900 at 20 °C
||-1° to -23° at 20 °C
||1.40 to 1.50 at 20 °C
|Blends well with
||Bergamot, Coriander, Fennel, Lime
||In addition, the oil acts as an anti-bacterial, aperient, boosts red cell production and helps overcome anemia. This oil is used in beauty aids to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.